Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cupcakes for Cupcakeries!

So, in thinking about how I was going to "score" my visits, I had to think about what I look for when I eat cupcakes, and buy from cupcakeries.  I came up with three essential categories:

1. Ambiance.  The place has gotta have it.  I love quaint little places that feel like some imaginary perfect Grandmother's kitchen, with a touch of modernity and a bit more pizazz.  This is a must, and is, admittedly, completely subjective.  But, it's my blog, and I'm the boss!

2.  Taste.  Another "must."  I am not down for a crappy tasting cupcake no matter how cute the venue is and how beautifully its frosting is.  I am looking for good and strong flavor, maybe something unique (savory?  random spice?)

3.  Presentation.  They say you eat with your eyes first, right?  So true!  I love cupcakes that are simple and clean - I don't need a lot of fireworks here, though sometimes those work!  I love little "extras" that tell you something about the flavor, too.  Like and umbrella for a "Mai Tai" or a lemon candy for a lemon cupcake.

I will be rating on a 5 Cupcake system, with 5 cupcakes out of 5 being the best you can get!

I am thinking my first visit will be to a local venue, but a big Bay Area Cupcake Queen: Kara's Cupcakes, which is within walking distance from my house.  I will definitely be walking there so that I can "earn" that cupcake.  I've been there before (many, many times), but am looking forward to reviewing it and really thinking about what makes it so great (hint: S'mores Cupcakes!!)

1 comment:

  1. I have a slue of places to take you then when you come to LA! There are sooo many cupcakeries here. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...