Friday, April 1, 2011

Sweet Passions Redemption

After the anti-climax of my first two Sweet Passions cupcakes, I was less than enthused to try the next two.  I was anticipating a dry less than flavorful bite o' cake, but was very pleasantly surprised by the redemption of Sweet Passions by the Pineapple Cream and Strawberry Banana!

The Pineapple Cream

This cake was very moist, and not overly sweet or tart.  The cream mellowed out the pineapple quite nicely, and made for pretty good eats!  It was a nice shade of yellow, though I wondered if they might use yellow coloring...which I wouldn't like as much!

 Decoration: Again, very simple.  Their frosting is a bit much.  I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to toppings.  I wasn't a huge fan of the random white dots on the top - they didn't feel well incorporated and didn't really make sense.  I'd have loved to see it all dolled up as a kind of pineapple - that would have been hot.


Taste:  Moist and delish.  Seriously - just the right balance of cream and fruit.  Love it.

Overall: 
Can you spell redemption?

Strawberry Banana


So, after reading my initial post, a few friends told me that the absolutely LOVED their wedding cakes from this place - a few of which were the banana flavor.  I guess that is one of their best known flavors.  I was remiss in passing that up in favor of some different, more creative ones, but I had just baked banana bread earlier in the week, and wanted something new - can you blame me?  I felt this was a close second.




Decoration
: Kind of boring.  I don't know what it will take to please me in this category, but folks - this ain't it.  I felt that the fruit could have been more artfully displayed (yes, I realize this may sound pretentious). I don't know - it just looks really clunky, for lack of a better word.



Taste: Like banana bread with a hint more sweetness.  It was goooooood.  I love banana bread, and I love strawberries - so this was a good combo to me.  It was moist, and the flavors were subtle.  The consistency was a bit more like a muffin than a cake, though - but that was the only downfall!

Overall:  

Overall, my Sweet Passions experience would have to get a 1/2.  Half of the cupcakes didn't do it for me, and the commercial nature of the store also is not really up my ally.  My friends, as I mentioned, loved this place for their weddings - maybe they just need to stick to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...