Thursday, November 24, 2011

Crawlin' Through Santa Barbara - Cupcakin' Style!

For the past three years we embark on a Santa Barbara adventure with our wonderful friends, The Roses. The first year was for our engagement pictures, the next for a marathon, and this past year, for a half marathon (Emily and I left our crazy marathon pants behind us!)  Emily wrote about our wonderful tradition here - it's so true.  Traditions are such a great thing, especially ones that you create with your friends.

When the trip was still in its planning stage, I had the idea to embark on a Cupcake Crawl - something Em and I have been thinking about doing in San Francisco.  Sure, SB is a much smaller canvas, but there are still great eats to be eaten!  We plotted out 2 spots and planned much of our day around when we would stop in and enjoy our sweet treats!

On our first night, imagine our delight, when we stumbled upon the uber fun and super whimsical Whodidily Cupcakes!  We were shopping around in the beautiful Paseo Nuevo, an outdoor mall, when we turned the corner, and it appeared before us!




The website describes their cakes as "'Willy Wonkaish' with a dollop of Dr. Seuss."  Never has a more accurate description existed.  You walk in to a brightly colored space, with candy-laden tables, lollipops hanging from the ceiling, a "frost your own cupcake" station replete with a topping bar, and of course - a funky array of crazy flavors and eclectic decorations.  Em and I put our heads together to make the most important decision of the day: which flavors to try...


Dough Dough Bird


I like how the frosting looks like a cocked hat :)






OMG YUM.  Chocolate cake.  Cookie dough center.  Enough said.  I could have done without the bright blue frosting - I am kind of partial to more natural coloring, but whatever.  This was a yummy cupcake.  The cake itself was super moist, and when you got a bite of that cookie dough?  Heavenly....so good.  I would definitely get this one again.  I might even try to bake it myself!  I also appreciate the fun naming of all of the flavors.  It definitely fits in with the vibe of the place!



Rum a Dum Dum

Bright yellow frosting hints at the overly sweet taste...
Ok, not a huge fan of this one.  But it looked pretty and sounded cute!  Don't be fooled!  It was way too sweet for my taste, and kind of artificial tasting (obviously they aren't against it - please reference blue frosting in previous photo).  It was supposed to be like a pinapple upsidedown cake.  But, to me, it was a flop.  And of all of the flavors, this was the one that had the most left over at the end!





 Pumpkin


I am a huge fan of pumpkin anything.  Huge.  Big.  The cake is usually really moist, and it just tastes like fall to me.  Love it.  This cupcake was no exception.  Very moist, and the frosting was light as air, drizzled with caramel.  More please!
Overall, I really liked this place.  Certainly not what I would have for my own shop, but super fun and funky all the same.  They even had a space in the back for parties - if I was a kid, I would be all over that.  

The Rum a Dum Dum is what kept this from being a five cupcaker for me.  

So fun and crazy - you can't help 

The bright colors kind of don't sit right with me (though it didn't stop me from eating them...)

Definitely worth a stop if you are in Santa Barbara, if for no other reason than to feel like you visited the castle of Wonka  Seuss for a day :)

Stay tuned for our second stop...at Crushcakes!














No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...